Friday 2 October 2015

I'm one 'Tough Mudder'



So after 12 miles and 25 obstacles including tear gas, electrocution, ice water, 10-foot walls and a hell-of-a-lot of mud, I am officially a ‘Tough Mudder’ and it feels incredible!

Why!? Is a question I’ve heard a lot recently from bewildered friends and family wondering why the hell I’d put myself though 12 miles of hell. There are a few reasons why I chose to do Tough Mudder but the main one is that going through the whole BRCA / Mastectomy saga has made me realise I’m a lot stronger than I ever thought I was. 

Another big reason was to raise awareness of my story and to raise funds for the amazing charity Breast Cancer Care.

I realise that without research by such charities we probably wouldn't know as much as we do about genetic breast cancer and I would not have the choice that I do. 

But because there is still a long way to go I will ask you all again to donate using my Just Giving Page: https://www.justgiving.com/Killer-boobs



When faced with difficulty you really do just have two choices: negativity or positivity. I am so blessed that I’ve been able to find the strength to be positive and that I’m surrounded by incredible people that help me every step of the way.

I’m not saying that everyone going through this BRCA journey should don running gear and throw themselves through army obstacles; find what keeps you positive and concentrate on that. For me that just happens to be keeping active and raising awareness. 

And as for my surgery date? I am still (im)patiently waiting but I have learnt to trust the course of life a little more. 

The delay means that I’ve had a great hen weekend in Paris with my best friends, been a bridesmaid and completed Tough Mudder. 

If a little more delay means that I get to have a few more incredible times with my friends and family before my surgery then I am happy with that! 




BRCA Sisterhood

Whilst talking about the positives I have to mention the ‘BRCA Sisterhood’ otherwise known as a group of incredible women that I’ve met during this journey. Some have undergone surgery and others will be soon but what they all have in common is compassion, understanding and strength and I’d consider a few of them friends. Naming only a few of the ladies that have helped me immensely: Claira Hermet, Katie King, Carla Atherton and Katie Cousins (who I wish a lot of love and luck to as she deals with her own battle)

No comments:

Post a Comment