Monday 22 June 2015

Life saving surgery vs.vanity.




I'm lucky; maybe not winning the lottery, being married to Channing Tatum kind-of- lucky, but I am lucky.

I've been given a warning that I have an 86% chance of developing breast cancer in my lifetime and I will be undergoing a double mastectomy to reduce my risk to around 4%. The surgery could save my life and I’ll be able to say I will never get breast cancer: how many women would kill to be able to say that? So I shouldn't really be worrying about what I’ll look like…right?

I think vanity is a pretty normal thing for most people, 27-year-old Essex girls especially. I work hard at the gym, I watch what I eat, I have my nails done, I colour my hair and I probably spend too much money on make-up, clothes and shoes. I take pride in my appearance and shamelessly so. So why do I feel so guilty about worrying what my boobs are going to look like?

The reality is I will be undergoing a double mastectomy with reconstruction using implants. I will have scars, there is a moderate possibility I’ll lose my nipples and there is even a small chance that the reconstruction will fail and I’ll be left without any breasts at all. I'm not going to lie, all of that scares the crap out of me!

I attended my local BRA (Breast Reconstruction Awareness) group in February, which is basically a show and tell by extremely brave women who have gone through breast re-construction. As I walked in to the hospital room I felt frightened for the first time since hearing the news I’m BRCA2+.

Around 10 ladies were standing there showing their re-constructed breasts and talking about their experiences of surgery and recovery. Don’t get me wrong here these women were all beautiful and strong, but; and I'm going to brutally honest when I say this, I was really upset at the thought that my boobs would look the way theirs did. Not only was I scared and upset but I then felt extremely guilty for being so shallow.

I spoke in length to many of the women; most had battled cancer for years. One lovely lady told me the worst thing about her recovery was not being able to pick up her children for weeks. I can only imagine how distressing that was for her however; for me, one of my biggest worries is not being able to train at the gym for possibly months after my surgery. When I admitted this to her, she gave me what I can only describe as a look of utter disbelief and disgust. I left that meeting feeling scared, silly and very superficial. For a few weeks I seriously considered postponing my surgery to a time in my life where maybe I wasn't so selfish and didn't care so much about my appearance and lifestyle.

Since that day I have realised that maybe I was being a bit hard on myself. Routine and priorities are personal and relative. My lifestyle will be severely disrupted due to my surgery and I should not feel guilty about being sad about that.

When I talk to people I know about my surgery or share my fears about what they’ll look like post-mastectomy, the response is almost always ‘at least you get new ones’. Yes that is true, I will be having a reconstruction but they will look scarred and different to what I'm used to. I have realised that it is okay to have these fears and worries and that it does not mean that I am vain. I want anyone else in the same situation to not feel alone in these fears and to be able to relate to this blog.

I view myself as lucky. I'm a hell of a lot luckier than those women than don’t get a warning and have to battle cancer instead. But I am still a normal 27-year-old girl and I still have the same fears and concerns as every other 27-year-old girl and I should not feel guilty about that.

So for now I'm going to keep positive, continue to raise awareness, keep fighting and hopefully not be so hard on myself. F you breast cancer, F you 86% chance, you’re not winning this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment